The Faculty of Humanities, University of Cape Town
Call for Applications for PhD Scholarships
Applications are invited from suitably qualified students to study full-time towards a doctoral degree in the humanities and social sciences at the University of Cape Town
Value, period and conditions of the award
The value of the award is R120 000 in the first year. Annual renewals are subject to proof of satisfactory progress. Normally, the maximum period for the award is three years. Successful candidates will be expected to sign a contract as regards conditions of the scholarship.
Successful completion of a Master’s degree, entering the first year of PhD or doctoral study following an upgrade from a Master’s registration, successful completion of the Doctoral Proposal Module, or registered for PhD study in first year of enrolment in departments established in the Faculty of Humanities.
• Applicant’s academic merit
• Coherence and merit of the proposed research proposal
• Preference will be given to members of designated groups
Applications will be judged by a selection committee.
Candidates should provide the following supporting documentation as part of their application:
1. A cover page including the following:
a. Full names and surname and either UCT student number of UCT applicant number
b. Full contact details, including residential and postal address; email and telephone number(s);
2. Letter of confirmation of offer of place in the Faculty of Humanities at UCT, or of registration in the Faculty.
3. A preliminary research proposal (max: 1000 words) outlining the problem statement, methodology (if applicable), feasibility of your planned study and the contribution it will make knowledge
4. Two letters of recommendation from academics who are familiar with your work, one of which must be from the supervisor of your Master’s thesis
5. A certified copy of your full academic transcript/s
6. Sample copies of your best writing, e.g. a chapter from your Master’s study or any published academic work.
7. Applicants who are eligible for a NIHSS (SAHuDA) PhD scholarship must also have made application for that scholarship.
Closing Date: 15 December 2014
Applications should be sent electronically to: Robyn.Udemans@uct.ac.za
Applicants are requested to name the files of their supporting documents appropriately and submit their full applications in a single email.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Successful candidates will be notified by 26 January